Saturday, October 30, 2010

New Beginnings

I am entering a new chapter of my life, and it's very exciting - being a grandmother.

While other women I know seem to be able to empathize and commiserate with others regardless of the event, trial or challenge that faces them, I never seem to be able to enter into another's experience fully until I am placed in a similar situation.

I used to work in a department next to Payroll. The women whose job was to monitor and produce everyone else's paycheck just happened to be all in the same age range - in their 60s. Each one had her own cubicle to call "home", and each 6'x8' domain was packed with photos of grandchildren, crafts made by grandchildren, cute little figurines of children, etc. Personally, I didn't "get it". What's wrong with these people? Their whole lives revolve around their grandchildren!

Well, I haven't taken grandparenting to quite this level, but I have to admit I'm smitten. I'm not sure what exactly happens in that 25-30 years between bringing your own little one home from the hospital and seeing that first grandchild, but it is one, miraculous transition! Who needs Six Flags? This ride is all I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment